Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Are you a family lawyer?

Customer Question
Are you a family lawyer?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley
What is issue?
What state?
Issues: going to school conferences, making decisions, etc....I am in Oregon
hello?
are you still here?
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
I am. What is your exact issue
are you not getting my questions? I have been writing them twice now. I asked in the state of OR what rights step mothers have in attending school conferences, school meetings, decision making ect....?I have sole custody of my son and feel she should not be at these meetings and conferences or any other such place.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

so you have sole custody of your step son?

I am sorry but I am confused

No! I have sole custody of my son. My ex's wife is the stepmother I am talking about. And she is the one doing all this.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

legally the step mother has no right to attend conferences that are 1 on 1

school meeting open to the public is a different matter

legally they have no right to the decision making process either, if the ex wants to bounce things off her that is on him and does not need to be done with you present or your knowledge

if issue with conference continues then ask for a separate meeting, that happens all the time

if you have sole legal custody then you can make all the decisions, that is rare but happens

what is rare? Also we have separate meetings but I am not ok with her attending. What can I legally do?
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

some one having sole legal custody is somewhat rare

more likely joint legal

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

if you have a real issue with her attending meetings about child that you are not at

then I would suggest contacting the principal I am sure the teacher does not want to get involved in that

at the end of the day legally she does not have a right to be there unless the court order allows her

school is not going to want to get involved but it is an issue you can force

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago

can I assist you further?

Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley