Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have recently married for the second time and would like

I have recently married for the second time and would like some advice on whether I should change my name completely or have a hyphenated name of my previous married name and my new name.
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All of my children are grown

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Congratulations!

Response: This is really a matter of preference. If you have been established using your previous married name, then you can do hyphenation. Otherwise, you should just sever ties completely and assume your new married name.

Best wishes,