Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can one of the parents who hired and paid the retainer fee…

Can one of the...

Can one of the parents who hired and paid the retainer fee for a guardian at litem be denied the right to have a copy of the final report at the GAL's request?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, he is being replaced. He and a judge are under investigation by the state for certain behaviors. He stated the GAL did not want my nephew to have a copy.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The mother's extensive record of domestic violence has improved this year, but the father and grandparents have raised the child until a year ago when the very young mother decided she wanted child support. This totally changed a seven year old girl's life including her education. The child does not have a bed at her mother's house and must sleep with her mother. They are living in the mother's grandmother's house. The father's apartment is attached to his parent's house but the child has her own room.

9/21/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Who was the GAL representing here, the child?

.

Was the GAL appointed by the court and one parent ordered to pay for it?

.

,

thanks

The GAL was appointed for the child by the judge and both parents had to pay for it?

Ok, then the child is the GAL's client and his duty is only to the child and the court. Any information about his report would be between the court and the GAL and child. But since this is an adversarial proceeding, and if the parents are fighting about custody, then I would opine that both parents have the right to review the GAL report and respond to it so as to be able to defend against any claims.

.

You can't use "secret evidence" against a parent and not give them the ability to review and dispute it. However the judge would typically seal the case from the public view since it deals with a minor and only the actual parties to the case would have access.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you for your assistance. R. Bates

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

Barrister, Lawyer