Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A summons for my husband and myself was served to my 16 year

old son, is this grounds...
a summons for my husband and myself was served to my 16 year old son, is this grounds for dismissal
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: new york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, can't afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the person who is suing me is my cousin, my dog scratched her face when she went to lick her and i have contacted my homeowners insurance believeing they will go after that. so do i need to get a lawyer to answer the summons or can i file it myself.
9/21/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It could be here.A lawyer would be able to challenge service and get it dismissed.Also the lawyer can dispute the facts in the lawsuit and perhaps you can counterclaim as well if you were out legal fees and damaged here. You would be better served to use a lawyer here to respond and counter claim.

Lawyer for you here

Lawyer Referral and Information Service
1(###) ###-####br />www.Findalawyernys.org

Need an attorney in NYC? Call(###) ###-####

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

If you have to file yourself

nstead of answering, a defendant or respondent can ask the court to dismiss all or part of the case by making a motion to dismiss. The defendant or respondent should ask the court to let him or her make a late Answer if the motion is denied.

Motions to dismiss are made for many different reasons. For example, if the defendant didn’t get the summons and complaint the right way, he or she can ask the court to dismiss the case. (See Examples of Bad Service). Or, if the plaintiff started the case in the wrong court or county, the court will dismiss the case. If the court grants these motions to dismiss, the case is over, but the plaintiff can correct the problem and start the case again. This is called a dismissal without prejudice.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
do you know how much a lawyer would cost for this case
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer