Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Will our NM guardianship for our adult disabled daughter…

Customer Question
Will our NM guardianship...

Will our NM guardianship for our adult disabled daughter still be in effect if our disabled daughter moves to Louisiana?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The guardianship was done in NM

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't talked to a lawyer online. Our disabled daughter might be moving to Louisiana with her former NM caregiver who recently married a fellow in the military who will be stationed in Louisiana. Our daughter and her caregiver have been together for 12 years. If our daughter moves, she will have to give up her NM DD Waiver and NM medicaid.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/21/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question is yes. Under the full faith and credit clause, courts in one jurisdiction will give authority to court orders in another jurisdiction. For example, if you adopted a child in one state, but then moved to another, your adoption of that child doesn’t become ineffective because you moved states. In your case, even if you move from NM to LA, your guardianship that was granted by the NM courts will stay in tact.

.Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer