Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in Mississippi & have been in a same sex relationship

I live in Mississippi & have been in a same sex relationship for 20 years. We are now separating & my partner thinks she can take everything out of the house that she has a receipt for.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, but she has, He's telling her she can take everything. The house was furnished when she moved in, but as things wore out, she replaced a lot of it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good. What's the answer?? Also, we are not married

I am afraid that absent any written contract to the contrary, the lawyer is advising her correct. If she can prove she purchased any items, she is entitled to take them legally. If you object, you are going to have to file suit against her for your reimbursement for anything you paid for that she is taking and you can take her to court to get the court to decide who is entitled to what property.

Right now, if she has receipts proving she bought it, legally she can take it.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.