Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I HAD AN UNCONTESTED DIVORCE WE AGRREED ON EVERY THING. SHE…

I HAD AN UNCONTESTED...

I HAD AN UNCONTESTED DIVORCE WE AGRREED ON EVERY THING. SHE IS NOW COMING BACK TO ME SAYING I NEED TO GIVE HER MONEY. WE SOLD OUR HOUSE AND SPLIT EVERYTHING. WE HAVE BEEN DIVORCED FOR ABOUT30 DAYS

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TEXAS

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO SHE JUST CALLED ME ABOUT IT.

9/20/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

So did the judge sign off on the decree and settlement agreement.If thats the case its final and you owe her nothing.The decree is the final orders from the divorce and sets out the property division and other issues . She would have to convince a judge to reopen it here and that is very unlikely.Absent fraud a court will not revisit a settlement and decree here under Texas family law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THE JUDGE DID SIGN OFF ON THE DECREE AND SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT

She only has 30 days from the date of the hearing to object to the signing of the decree, ask the court to vacate, or reopen, the default judgment and request permission to contest the divorce terms.

If it hasn't been 30 days since final hearing maybe stall a bit an it will be too late here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
THANK YOU

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars.

They are at top of page for you.Have a great day.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer