Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

Can a marriage be dissolved if one party lied about their

Can a marriage be dissolved if one party lied about their gender on the marriage license?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Connetecuit
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I live overseas from my estranged ex and want to be able to marry my new wife but am not sure about getting a divorce etc...

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

If the license application was intentionally inaccurate then it could be grounds for annulment. The parties would still have to go through the annulment process in the family court. In other words, the marriage would be voidable, but not void.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am living overseas. Would this have to be done in the U.S. or could it be done in another country? I am a Canadian citizen living in Thailand.