Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 17 years experience
19958803

I am a 20 year old college student and father of two

I am a 20 year old college student and father of two beautiful kids with an ex girlfriend. She insist on marriage or the kids are out of my life. I have been begging for a few years to have access to kids info like ss numbers to setup child support but mom insist on cash payments along with zero visitation rights. How do i go around mom and setup child support for my children?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois Cook County
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: quoted me thousands of dollars to begin 'mystery' process. I work part time at a toy store and am a full time college student and cannot afford one.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

You would need to file a formal paternity case with the local child support division of the District Attorney or with the local Family Court. If you contact the local DA, they will be happy to help.

.

Once the case is filed, the judge orders a DNA test to confirm paternity and then when that is done, he can order specific visitation/custody as well as set a formal child support amount that is determined by a formula the judge uses based on the percentage of custody and each parent's respective incomes...

.

So you don't even need an attorney here as the local DA is always happy to help a parent who wants to formally establish their legal rights to their children.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I request a formal paternity case when speaking with them?

Yes, just tell them you want to establish paternity and get visitation and child support set up..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** details on what to expect during the process?

No, it is pretty straightforward... the petition is filed and a hearing is set. You appear and the mother does as well, The judge orders the DNA test and then you go have it done. When the results come back, another hearing is scheduled and the judge then sets any child support amounts and also a formal custody/visitation schedule that firmly establishes your rights to your time with the children..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time. Thanks for doing what a lot of fathers don't..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the caption and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Absolutely