Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Considering divorce we have been together 18 yrs married 12

Considering divorce we have...
Considering divorce we have been together 18 yrs married 12 yrs originally purchased home only in his name before marriage we both contributed to down payment refinanced and placed in both our names 1 yrs after refinancing he started contracting his employment out of state for the past ten yrs he has not contributed to any household expenses including the mortgage 6 yrs ago we filled chptr13 bankruptcy which I paid everything out of my income he still has not put any money in to assist with any expenses or upkeep and now for the past 18 mths refuses to find full time employment can I keep the home after divorce or does he have the right to force a sale and take half the equity I have all paperwork proving I alone paid all of the joint bankruptcy and subsequent household expenses jk from arkansas
9/20/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about all of this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are considering divorce he keeps telling me courts will force us to sell and he gets half or I can just give him have of its value to which I have all paperwork proving that he did not contribute to paying any household expenses including the mortgage and all of the joint bankruptcy payments were made by me thru payroll deduction basically I have paid everything now all we have is the home and he wants to force a sale of the home
Does he have a right to the home in divorce?

Thank you for your reply.

AR is an equitable division state, which means that the court will divide all of the marital property in a fair manner based on the circumstances. If he has not paid any bills, your attorney will most likely be able to get the court to award you more than half of the share of the house and any other property. So I would not fall for his scam trying to bully you on this. I would consider hiring a local attorney and filing for divorce and seeking the whole house based on him not putting any money into the residence and you paying all of the bankruptcy payments, since you deserve more under the AR equitable distribution laws and his lack of marital contributions.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer