Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a single female and interested in using a known donor…

Customer Question
I am a single...

I am a single female and interested in using a known donor by iui. I want to know if iui needs to be done at a clinic or if it can be done at home if I Have a sperm donor agreement signed with a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

There is technically no rule that states that an IUI must be done at a clinic. However if it is not, then there are a number of problems that may arise:

1) If there are any complications, then any party can blame the other for the non-sterile procedure in the home, leaving one with liability;

2) There would be a lack of medical records which may be needed for the formal custody transfer once the child is born;

3) The local DFPS may become involved if it feels that the home procedure put the fetus at risk.

As such, it is best to go to a local fertility clinic for the procedure.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Would the sperm donor be known as a sperm donor then if it is performed at home? I know some states say it must be done in a doctors office in order for him to not be he legal parent.Do I need to get a sperm donor contract by a lawyer before I go through with the process?

Would the sperm donor be known as a sperm donor then if it is performed at home?

Well, a DNA test can surely determine the father later on.

I know some states say it must be done in a doctors office in order for him to not be he legal parent.

Texas fertility law on this subject is complex - see SUBCHAPTER H of TEXAS FAMILY CODE CHAPTER 160:

www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.160.htm

There is no such specific law (yet), however, doing this at home will likely create legal issues as explained above, not to mention health problems, possibly. It should be done at a facility.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

6) "Donor" means an individual who provides eggs or sperm to a licensed physician to be used for assisted reproduction, regardless of whether the eggs or sperm are provided for consideration.This says it in the document. Can you explain that to me better. Does that mean thhe procedure need to be done by a physician ?

That depends. The following are exceptions to that definition:

(A) a husband who provides sperm or a wife who provides eggs to be used for assisted reproduction by the wife;

(B) a woman who gives birth to a child by means of assisted reproduction; or

(C) an unmarried man who, with the intent to be the father of the resulting child, provides sperm to be used for assisted reproduction by an unmarried woman

It all depends on what you are doing... EXACTLY. You may wish to read through that link completely to apply it to your situation.

Anything I can do to make a sperm donor contract a legal document? Take it to a lawyer? Not sure if you know anything about this

Sperm donor contracts are enforceable, but they must be in writing and contain specific verbiage under Tex. Fam. Code Ch. 160. You can do this without an attorney, but chances are the contract will be lacking specific required verbiage. So not using an attorney is simply NOT recommended.

If you are planning to do a IUI without an attorney and without a clinic, you are asking for legal trouble and uncertainty, frankly speaking. I am going to be honest.