Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a divorced parent with joint custody of my minor child…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a divorced parent with joint custody of my minor child and my ex has continued to keep our child on the Monday holidays if the hoilday coinsides with his weekend.(e.g. Memorial Day and Labor Day) he does not aknowledge alternation the holidays and just keeps the child. I have not had our daughter on Memoral day since 2015 and Labor Day since 2014. I have file contempt charges but the judge has yet to acknowlege my complaint. She just order us to go to co parenting classes for the second time. My ex has taken me to court for anything you can imagine from taking her out of school to attend her counseling appointment to missing a basketball middle school basketball practice for attending a counselling session. I am financially exhaused which is the plan of my ex. and I have been financially harassed for six years. He shortens my visitation by the aboved mentioned tactics and in over 50 appearences in court in almost six years what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Unfortunately Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes and my lawyer in the last incounter explained in specific detail what is going on and the judge just court ordered both of us to go to a co parenting class.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have gone to court to defend his accusations and won in that respect but everytime he files a motion eventhough she threw it out she has not stopped him in any way (meaning never finned him or made him pay lawyer fees) and I am still paying a lawyer. Now because I have to attend this parenting class for the second time which is only held on weekdays in a city that is 1.5 hours away requiring me to advised my employer because I have to take off 2 hours early every Thursday for 8 weeks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly are you asking here, i.e. what is your question?

My question is how can I stop my ex from taking my parenting time when he does not alternate the holidays? He takes the holiday by not returning her when he has her on his week end.
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago

I am sorry! Your reply never showed on my screen until now. Did you still need an answer? Please let me know.

Okay. Well first of all, you state that the judge has "yet to acknowledge my complaint." What does that mean?

1) Has there been a formal hearing on the contempt motion? If so, was the Judge ordering both of you to go to classes the Court's decision?

2) If there has not been a formal hearing, is there a date for one? If not, did you formally set a court date with the court after filing the motion?

Ely, Counselor at Law