Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What does the Florida First DCA consider an extenuating

Customer Question
What does the Florida...

What does the Florida First DCA consider an extenuating circumstance in filing a motion for an extension to file initial brief in an appeal of a termination of parental rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just told you an appeal was filed

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The First DCA considers extraordinary circumstances, not mere neglect or ordinary delay. This means things like physical illness preventing submission on time or problems with finding an attorney or having an attorney quit on you or problems getting the records together for the appeal or things like the hurricane causing damage. All of those things will be considered good cause for extenuating circumstances and granting an extension. That is not an all inclusive list and courts consider excuses on a case by case basis.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.