Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have filed for divorce and on the original petition I

Customer Question
I have filed for...

I have filed for divorce and on the original petition I forgot to put N/A on the properties for both of us, does that mean I have to start over and refile the petition??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Weatherford texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I filed the divorce petition but he signed the waiver and I have to have that amended because he didn't check that he is not in the military

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am doing this myself with no lawyer because I don't have the money

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

As long as he's not claiming you have properties that need to be divided, you should be fine. The judge could ask you to sign an Amended Complaint showing there aren't any properties, but you don't need to start over with a new Petition and a new filing fee. The court isn't likely to dismiss your case because of that sort of omission.

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Do you have any questions about this?