Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter had full custody of her son up until two years…

Customer Question
My daughter had full...

My daughter had full custody of her son up until two years ago. The father has never paid a dime of child support for the 8 years she had full custody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Im in rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, cant afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had a domestic with my current husband and a restraining order was in place. DCYF investigated the situation and temporily removed my son from me to live with his father who has never paid child support. I failed to show up to my court date in order to restore custody to me, therefore the judge ruled my son's father would have full custody. Recently I had a heated argument with him in my mothers driveway and he spit in my face and pushed me to the ground. I called the police and now there are criminal charges pending on him for this assualt. My mother currently supports the needs of my son even though he lives with his dad. How do I get back custody and back child support for which he has never paid.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Okay, thank you

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 11 months ago
Michael Bradley
What court date did you miss? For custody or a DCYF hearing?