Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Trying to figure out how much I need to pay in alimony. One…

Customer Question
Trying to figure out...

Trying to figure out how much I need to pay in alimony. One kid together who turned 18 in July. I make 115K she was for the most part homemaker no income. In CA, married 17 years separated for 2 now. How much alimony and for how long do I need to pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California but I've been living in Washington for almost two years

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet trying to do amicable divorce just curious what amount and for how long alimony would be no child support involved just would like a rough estimate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's a pretty good summary. Married in Vegas together married in CA 17 years separated for 2 now. One child together. Homemaker. vs. 115K annually. Just need to know how much alimony would be expected and for how long.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, in CA, if a couple has been married for longer than 10 years, the court will impute a permanent spousal support order. Now, what I mean by “permanent” is that the court will give your spouse support for as long as she needs it, or at least until she gets married. They will look at your debts, income, and assets in determining support amount and run it through their formula and guidelines to determine the exact amount if you and her can’t come to an agreeable amount on your own. There is a CA attorney who has downloaded the calculator on her website and if you click here, you can put it your #s and see what you could expect a judge to determine.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer