Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My signed divorce paperwork has been in the court system…

Customer Question
My signed divorce paperwork...

My signed divorce paperwork has been in the court system since 7/10/2017. I can see that a family resolution conference has been set for next week. will the judge sign off at this time. I have a home that I am trying to buy and it is contingent on obtaining final approval of the divorce.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. we are not contesting anything. all documents have been filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just want to know if the judge will finalize our divorce at this conference next week. the court has had the documents since 7/10

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately a family resolution conference is simply a management tool; basically the parties will let the court know their timetable for resolution so that the court can properly calendar the case. For example, they may schedule a mandatory settlement conference where a settlement can be reached; or they may determine that a trial needs to be held and then schedule that.

Here is the local rule on that:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/cms/rules/index.cfm?title=five&linkid=rule5_83

It takes a minimum of 6 months from the filing and service of the petition before the divorce decree can be entered; that is a mandatory waiting period and cannot be waived.

It is possible to get the court's permission for the home sale to occur and to determine that the other party has no interest in the home but the divorce would not be finalized after 2 months unfortunately.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 12 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: