Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Florida and I need to get my roommate out of my…

Customer Question
I live in Florida...

I live in Florida and I need to get my roommate out of my house, he refused to leave and is making my life miserable. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that he has no where to go, and I am afraid of him

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer right now. Please bear with me it will take a few minutes to type it.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If he threatens you in any way contact law enforcement and go to court and file for a protection of abuse/restraining order.

He will be forced to leave the premises and then you can change the locks.

Other wise you must go through the eviction process. This process requires that you give the roommate Notice to vacate. In essence you will be acting as if you are the landlord and he is the tenant.

Here are the forms that you need to complete and the directions on how to file for the eviction:

https://www.okaloosaclerk.com/index.php/landlord-tenant-forms/97-form-24-15-day-notice-from-landlord/file

https://www.nassauclerk.com/_files/PACKET%20EVICTION%20FAILURE%20VACATE%207%20OR%2015%20DAYS%20NO%20RENTAL%20AGREE%20.pdf

You will need to obtain the directions from your County court, but they are essentially the same.

I am sorry that there is not an easier way, but the law does not allow you to lock him out unless he is threatening you, and even then you must get the Court Order.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer