Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about a custody agreement. We were

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question about a custody agreement. We were divorced when my son was 5 is now 11 and my ex is not willing to make arrangements based on his different social needs. He will not mediate nor talk to me. I have emailed him and he said to stop emailing. My son is becoming depressed and angry... what legally can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have spent over 40,000 on lawyers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is to ,I have to write. Lol Much

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Does the agreement require mediation, if there is a change or dispute between the parties?

but he says he is sticking to the agreement
How can I get him to go to mediation

Thank you for the reply. If the agreement requires mediation and he is refusing, you need to take him back to court and ask the Judge to hold him in contempt and/or compel him to go to mediation. If he refuses or nothing can be worked out, it would then be up to the Judge to decide, based upon the best interest of the child. If he is refusing to cooperate or work with you, you need to bring this issue back in front of the Judge and ask the Judge to order/compel him to attend or hold him in contempt.

Would that be filing a motion

Yes, it would. The Judge needs to be informed of his failure to cooperate and comply with the requirement of mediation and how he refuses to do anything and is acting in bad faith. Once the Judge knows about this, I have reason to believe they will compel him to act and attend. Now, mediation is not binding, so he can not be forced to agree to anything but once you attend and it is known that this is his position, you can then address it with the Judge.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!