Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it legal for a attorney to send me a legal summons and…

Customer Question
Is it legal for...

Is it legal for a attorney to send me a legal summons and NOT file it ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes I called him when I got the papers he said he sent the summons and complaint to recover 1

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanted to know if it is against the law for a attorney to NOT file proper documents in the court system

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's not necessarily against the law, but it's against the law to engage in fraud (that is, if the attorney made it appear that it came from a court). For example, I could send you a summons that I would file, and then say "I'm going to file this if you don't do X". A summons is a court order to appear at a certain time and place. So if it was sent and ostensibly signed by a court clerk, etc... (which would have to be a forgery if not signed) then that would be fraud, and EXTREMELY unethical (subject to complaint with the state bar and potential disbarring of the attorney). Again, not per se illegal, but rather it depends upon the intent and what was shown on the summons.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?