Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If an ex spouse requests a copy of a W2 does one have to be…

Customer Question
If an ex spouse...

If an ex spouse requests a copy of a W2 does one have to be provided to that person?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope was just asked for this info today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Thomas Swartz

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Is this in the context of some litigation for spousal support, child support, or a request for change of support, etc.

Thomas

I"m assuming it's for change of support, as there is a 50/50 split that has been in place for 6 years already and just today she asked for a copy of the 2016 W2 and last 3 pay stubs.
not sure if you received my response, there currently is a 50/50 split that has been in place for 6 years, she just asked for the W2 for 2016 and last 3 pay stubs today. Do I have to provide a copy of this to her?

You should check the terms of your divorce decree. Normally you would not have to provide continuing financial disclosures unless your divorce decree provides for this.

So, if the divorce decree does not mention accontinuing obligation to provide financial disclosure, then you would not have to turn over W2s.

Now if your wife has made a formal petition to the court to change the level of support, I would wait for the court to issue an order ordering you to turn over the W2s.

If she is just making an informal request to you to turn over the W2s, you do not have to turn them over unless the divorce decree states otherwise.

Thomas

Thank you for your time and response.

Good luck.

Thomas

Hello, is there a new law in Illinois regarding a change of child support changes/maintenance?
Family Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Hello JACUSTOMER,

Yes, there is a new law regarding a change of child support. As I am not a Illinois practittioner, I don't know the details of this change. But you can read about these changes here: Changes to Illinois Child Support Laws for 2017. Apparently, under this new law each parent is responsible for their prorata share of an amount determined by the Department of Family Services which is based on the parents' relative incomes.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer