Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been under a child support order for about a year and

Customer Question
a half now and the...
I have been under a child support order for about a year and a half now and the mother of my son refuses to let me see him. How do I file for either joint custody or visitation?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know the process
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. So there is child support ordered by the court but no visitation? That was done informally?

No. I went to court for it, but when I asked about visitation, they said that was a different matter and that I would have to file again.
I just need to know the process to file

Yes, that is correct. Child support matter are separate and apart from visitation or custody. As such, you do need to go to the clerk of court, in the family division and obtain the forms. A Judge will ordered visitation or custody, based upon the best interest of the child. In this case, you will need to show the mother is denying you visitation and time with the child and preventing you from having a relationship, with him. As the father, you do have rights and it is a problem if the mother interferes with this. The clerk of court has the forms for you to fill out and once you do, she will be served and need to respond and appear.

Do you know how much that might cost?

What county is the child in?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law