How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been under a child support order for about a year and

Customer Question

I have been under a child support order for about a year and a half now and the mother of my son refuses to let me see him. How do I file for either joint custody or visitation?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know the process
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. So there is child support ordered by the court but no visitation? That was done informally?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. I went to court for it, but when I asked about visitation, they said that was a different matter and that I would have to file again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just need to know the process to file
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Yes, that is correct. Child support matter are separate and apart from visitation or custody. As such, you do need to go to the clerk of court, in the family division and obtain the forms. A Judge will ordered visitation or custody, based upon the best interest of the child. In this case, you will need to show the mother is denying you visitation and time with the child and preventing you from having a relationship, with him. As the father, you do have rights and it is a problem if the mother interferes with this. The clerk of court has the forms for you to fill out and once you do, she will be served and need to respond and appear.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you know how much that might cost?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

What county is the child in?

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!