Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Grandmother in the state of Florida has had custody of her…

Customer Question
Grandmother in the state of...
Grandmother in the state of Florida has had custody of her grandsons for the past 10 yrs. The oldest is now 16 and wants to go live with his father in another state. Recently, the grandmother told him to get out and stay out of her home. She then made him come back home. This young man has threatened to steal a car or do whatever it takes to get to his father. If he runs away and goes to his father in the other state, what are the rights of his father as far as letting the son come live with him? Can he get into legal trouble for letting his son into his home? The father wants his son with him very much and has the ability to give him a good life.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the child is under court custody of the grandmother and the child runs to the father, regardless of how great a life the father can provide, the father has a legal duty to return the child to the grandmother as she is legal custodian. If the father wants custody of the child and has not lost parental rights and the child wants to move back with the father, the father needs to do it the right way and file a motion to modify custody and ask the court to change custody back to the father.

If the father does not do this, then the father can be charged with interfering with child custody and contributing to delinquency of a minor. So the father wants to do it the right way.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.