Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was served a civil summons by my daughters grand parents…

Customer Question
Good morning, I was...

Good morning, I was served a civil summons by my daughters grand parents who reside in NC, I currently reside in SC. I was recently informed that I would need to hire a attorney in NC due to the suit was filed there. However my 30 days to reply to this summons will expire on Sunday. The grandmother is attempting to gain full custody of my youngest daughter, by stating that I am unfit. I'm not sure where to begin with answering this summons. Other than my address and the date I took my daughter from her grandparents. Everything in this summons is fabricated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have spoken with literally 10 different attorneys and was finally scheduled a consultation in NC on October 2nd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to keep my children together, trying to look for options and assistance

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/19/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Good morning. I cerainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are in the process of retaining legal counsel, you can file a motion with the court, asking for an extension of time to respond to the complaint. You can advise you are seeking representation and need more time to retain counsel who will need to file a responsive pleading to this. Seeing how you reside in South Carolina and if the child lives with you, there may be jurisdictional issues if the home state of the child is South Carolina and this suit could be dismissed in North Carolina and need to be refiled.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law