Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Here in my case. I am a single mother who works, goes to…

here in my case. I...
here in my case. I am a single mother who works, goes to school and cares for my baby. I have allowed the father to visit 3x week for 2 hours since she has been born, even a little more at the beginning. After she turned 8 weeks old, he begged me to bring her to his parents house so they could see her. I brought her over a handful of times between now and then and stayed an hour each time. So I have tried to work with him. But she is breastfed. I'm not going to let her go over there without me and he definitely isn't going to watch her while I'm at work. He's never cared for an infant, he has a history of alcohol and marijuana use. She is 6 months old. So now a few days shy of her turning 6 months, I was served with court papers. I am in nursing school and can only miss 2 days of clinical. Both of those days was already used when I gave birth. So my question is what are the reasons people file for continuances and are they usually granted these continuances? My school is on the line. I graduate in December, I have worked really hard and come too far.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

it is possible to request a continuance and explain the school's absence policy;

however, the court will typically only extend a hearing by a few weeks so it may be more effective to ask the school for an exception to the policy.

The problem is that when there is a minor child the court will want to act as soon as possible to order a custody/visitation plan.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

They haven't set a court date for us yet. He filed September 8, typically how far away will the court date be?

It depends on the particular judge's docket; for custody disputes it is usually 4-8 weeks; if it doesn't get set until mid november, it increases the likelihood of a one time continuance being granted until the semester is over.

Great thanks for your help.
One more thing. This is for a paternity test. So will they do the paternity test after the court date?

They may issue an order before hand to determine paternity (pending the hearing) and then if paternity is not established they could then cancel the hearing because that would make custody issues moot/irrelevant.

You are welcome!

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
I plan on offering him 3x week 2 hours a day at my house until she is 18 months to fulfill her breastfeeding needs. SHe has never been to his house more than an hour and I don't want her to be in a foreign place for long periods of time without me. After that I only want her to be with him a few hours on the days I work (I work 3 12s) and then return her back to babysitter. I do not trust his driving, or the friends he hangs around. They have drug charges, abuse charges and DUIs as well. He also has a DUI and a physical control. Is there any way to limit his friends access to my child or to notify me when one of them is going to be around her?

Yes, the court can issue an order that only the parent (or other approved third party) is to be present during visitation; this is often the solution when a parent has substance abuse issues, since they tend to hang around other people with similar issues, which is generally deemed not a good environment for a young child.