Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex daughter-in-law is requesting me to pay money to her…

My ex daughter-in-law is...

My ex daughter-in-law is requesting me to pay money to her in order to see my grandson.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but I inquired about adoption and DCFS is involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to file action in civil court for her extortion, can I do this?

9/18/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My son is deceased, and my family and I had been having regular visits until yesterday when she sent a text saying I have to give her money if I want to see him.

Thank you for your patience. I understand your question clearly. Your answer is below.

Please keep in mind that I am here only to provide general information. I do not make any decisions on your case, nor do I have any control over it. So please do not hold against me an outcome that you did not want or expect. I am just a messenger.

When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

QUESTION: I want to file an action in civil court for her extortion, can I do this?

ANSWER: Unfortunately, no. An action for intimidation or extortion is a criminal offense, not a civil offense. So the state files charges for extortion if it feels there is a case to be made. Also, extortion would be where someone threatens you to obtain something or cause you to perform or omit to perform an act.

In this case, as a grandparent, you are not being forced to perform or omit to perform something by paying her. So I do not think there is a case for extortion to be made.

I think the best thing you can do is to file a petition with the family court for visitation, under Illinois' Grandparent Visitation law (750 ILCS 5/602.9). If the court finds for you, then she is forced to allow for visitation.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer