Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Does a person have legal rights of child if their name is

***** ***** birth certificate as...
Does a person have legal rights of child if their name is ***** ***** birth certificate as the father?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I filed a child support order but cancelled it . Thats the only place listing him as the father. No paternity test of ever established. HE has never been listed as the father in 12 years of school documebts
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I have the right to give Guardianship to my sister to protect my son from his father if I am the only one listed on birth certificate
9/18/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. No, if the parents were not married at the time of the child's birth and paternity has yet to be established, the father would have no rights. I say this because there is no proof or evidence that the man is even the father of the child, so unless and until that is done, there would be a presumption that the mother has full rights and custody of the child.

Even if
I filed a child support order years ago and cancelled it?

If you dismissed it and nothing happened, there would be no evidence of this. For all the court knows, you dismissed it because you realized this man was not the father.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

I think that is it for now. Thanks so much!

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer