Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex girlfriend and I have 2 children together. We haven't…

Customer Question
Hello, my ex girlfriend...

Hello, my ex girlfriend and I have 2 children together. We haven't been to court yet. We settled everything out of court so far. I make around 55k a year, she recently quit her job out of no where and now has no income. I've been paying her 125 a week since we split in January. We have approximately 55/45 custody. I was wondering how much I should actually be paying? I did a calculation but it was saying more then I am paying now, but I'm not sure if I did all calculations correct.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

She's loves in maryland now. I love on delaware Live *

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No not yet. We have been getting along fine but just in case i was curious what would happen.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that is it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. How much you should be paying really will depend on a variety of circumstances including not only what you make, but also any debts that you have. It also depends on how much money she makes and how many children you have as well. So, generally the state is going to require that the parties at least work together in good faith to try to figure out what a reasonable payment is going to be. However, the state of Maryland has a useful child support calculator that can help you out. I don't know if you've used this already, but you can use this as a good basis to determine realistically how much you may expect to pay realistically. If you click here, you can access the Maryland child support calculator right away. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.