Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and I just last week found out that my 14 yr old…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I just last week found out that my 14 yr old granddaughter chose to get pregnant with her 14 yr old boyfriend as a way to get out of her mother's home. She is about 4 months along now and the 14 yr old boyfriend's 21 yr old sister is trying to become the foster parent of my granddaughter. Our concerns are the sister will not limit under age sex, the parent's of my granddaughter are not together, haven't been for many years, they have records with the law and obviously cannot make good decisions with my granddaughter. For a time my granddaughter, we were told lived with first her maternal grandfather then maternal grandmother. Then a couple years ago we were told she lived back with her mom, that was the summer she was going to come here to NH to visit my wife and I. We, my wife and I are now hoping to get custody/ guardianship of my granddaughter who lives in VT. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this gets sent more than once.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We live in NH but, granddaughter lives in VT so it'd be a VT case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have, they did it sounded like we have a good case to even file for emergency removal. Just hoping to get a second opinion.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would need a VT lawyer to file for custody here.You have great facts.You might want to involve VT children's services.This is statutory rape here and the father is likely to be charged.The grand daughter is under the age of consent here.You would get custody of both grand daughter and her baby as a package.I would consider your own lawyer here and involving CPS in VT as it will help your case.

Report it here

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, please call Vermont's Child Protection Line to report it (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). 1-***-***-****

Lawyer here

VERMONT BAR ASSOCIATION
LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE

Call 1-***-***-****

The Vermont Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service provides referrals at no cost to you. Our attorneys provide an initial 30-minute consultation for no more than $25.

I appreciate the chance to help and wish you the best.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.