Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am inquiring for my daughter. She has a hired attorney,

Customer Question
I am inquiring for...

I am inquiring for my daughter. She has a hired attorney, which I paid for, last November in regards ***** ***** child support for her daughter. She never married her daughter's father but lived with him up until last September. After explaining details of her predicament and how she has now had to endure more expenses after leaving him I feel the attorney should have put in an emergency order for child support but she failed to do so. After my daughter depleted all money sources and became desperate, called and cried to this attorney, she finally placed the order in for temporary payment after July 1st when the law changed. She has received a one small amount of payment, this month's was to paid through the state on the 15th but has not been done as of today. If feel like this attorney has failed her and my daughter continues to be victimized by her ex. We have considered consulting with a new attorney....advice?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinos

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She continues to try to communicate with her attorney but as usual is put off as much as possible. She is in an extremely desperate situation financially and falling behind. She works full time but it is not enough to make ends meet and does not qualify for much state aid. She has explained to this attorney that she may be forced to quit her job and go full force welfare due to not being able to cover basic living expenses and child care.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm not sure, I just feel like this attorney did not do right by her and have mentioned consulting with a different attorney.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you. I am unable to do a phone call at this time. I will only be available for a short time.

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Why am I being charged he $47 when it was supposed to be a free trial to start with?

Hi, I wish that I could tell you for sure. You can always contact Just Answer’s Customer Care team by clicking here or calling them at 1-***-***-**** and ask them what the deal is. If you want to do that before we continue, I'm perfectly fine with that:-)

I will contact them but we can proceed. If I have to leave before to long, do I just come back on after I return?

Ok not a problem. Let me go ahead and read and review your issue and then I'll come back with a response momentarily...

thank you

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. I know that working with attorneys is not always easy because you have to rely on their judgment and experience, both of which could not line up with the needs of your daughter in this case. The rules of your state bar say that an attorney can be discharged at any time and for any reason. You may still owe the attorney for services performed, but if you need an attorney immediately, then you should not waste any time at all. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Illinois LRS click here. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Thank you. The LRS is of no help since it indicates there are no attorneys in our area, which is small. Finding an attorney further out may be costly due to travel time.

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear about that. Keep in mind that you don't always have to have one that is right next door; sometimes having a lawyer that is in adjacent county or city can be just as useful because they often only need to come for the occasional appearance. If your daughter is indigent, she may want to consider pro bono services, if she qualifies. If you click here, you can see what the IL attorney general has for links regarding legal aid for her. They often take family law cases. What other questions did you have for me?

we have tried the pro bono route also. The attorney she had a consultation with, before hiring the present one, is the one that told her the travel alone would cost to much. I will search for another solution. thanks.

I’m sorry to hear that. Sometimes, you have to keep on searching for the right representation. I’m not 100% sure, but I imagine some lawyers on Just Answer are licensed in your state. Also, go to martindale.com or Avvo.com to find some lawyers in your area. Plus, your local county bar association probably has a list of low cost attorneys as well. Did you have any other questions for me at all today?