Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to know if I can get a criminal attorney to help

Customer Question
I need to...

I need to know if I can get a criminal attorney to help me..I am 76 years old and my daughter;s drug friend has accused me of calling her and saying things to her when she has taped my phone and used the conversations between myself and my daughter to go to court and use the calls to put me on probation for 2 years and my daughter also, I lost two of my children , one to Muscular dystrophy and one to a car accident in which my remaining daughter was driving and was told not to drive her car that day. The remaining daughter has been hateful towards me ever since and has made this particle girl a sounding board about me. And now I have a criminal record at 76 years of age...I had an attorney and he told my daughter and I to plead guilty of the phone calls when she was listening in on my and my daughters calls.. When we got sentenced this attorney was no where around. I did not get a chance to defend myself.. This girl had a police officer working for her (he has since gotten fired) and the city attorney for her attorney. The girl, Mary, is a big drug dealer in the city of Jackson MI and she has been defended by the city of Jackson . I have not stood a chance against her. She made me a victim of lies etc so she would not get convicted. What do I do? She took over some of my credit cards, was on my telephone listening and she took over my computer for 2 years. What can I do? My probation is up in Nov. Oh I had to do community service also. Please let me know what I can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Jackson Mich. It happened in 2015. I am beside myself because the attorney that represented me and my daughter told us to plead guilty to phone calls to her when the calls were not to her but we were talking to each other and she was taping the calls. Do I have a case or not what kind of an attorney can I get?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have and he has said I have to talk to an attorney about suing the attorney that told us to plead guilty. I have never been in this situation and don't know what to do? I don't have the money to do anything either. I know she was a friend of my daughter and got mad at my daughter because she would not let her do her drug deals in my daughter's home. Please Please help!!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Like I said I had a son with Muscular Dystrophy and a 15 year old daughter that died in a car accident in 1979. I have been a decent citizen through out my life, I am so ashamed for this to happen and it would not have if my daughter had not said anything to Mary about me and Mary is trying toget back at my daughter....So sad.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Actually, at this point you need to consider getting a CIVIL attorney and pursuing a civil suit against her for malicious prosecution. If she has no money or assets for you to recover from her as a result of the lawsuit against her, then suing her is really useless. The only reason to sue someone is if they have money you can recover from them. If she does, you can sue for malicious prosecution and you would have to prove that the claims against you were false. The problem is that you plead guilty and that could work against you and you would need to argue that you had ineffective assistance from your counsel.

So this is going to be a difficult case and you need a civil attorney to review your actual evidence to pursue this against her.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you so very much
there is actually there is no way I can defend myself? So sad when this could happen to anyone. I am so ashamed that this has happened and I believe it is my daughter's fault.

Thank you for your reply. Please do not use the opt out button it prevents people from replying to you and your answers take longer.

Well, the time to defend yourself was in the criminal case. You did not do so there and let the attorney talk you into pleading guilty when you should have fought the case there. Now, 2 years+ later, it is very tough to undo what has been done by that.

What you could do upon completion of your sentence is use an attorney to file a motion to vacate the conviction and dismiss the charges based on you having no further issues. But that is up to the court and it is a last ditch effort to simply clear your record up.