Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

It is possible that my company may close its operations here…

Customer Question
It is possible that...

It is possible that my company may close its operations here in Chelsea MA by June of 2018. I am currently paying alimony to my ex wife and If I don't have a jobe at that time can I get a court order not to pay if I don't have a job. I am currently 71 years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is basically it. If I don't have a job I can't pay. I almost filed bankruptcy because I cannot pay all my bills.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Alimony can always be changed when there is a material change in circumstances. If you get laid off and no longer have an income, that can be a basis for reducing alimony. The judge may consider any assets you have in retirement accounts or income from Social Security (whether you're receiving payments or not) when deciding whether to reduce your payments. Also note that if your ex-wife is NOT receiving SS benefits and is old enough to qualify, you could ask that she be required to apply. She can get benefits on your earning record without affecting your payments, and that could reduce what you have to pay her directly.

Bankruptcy cannot be used to terminate alimony, so when making that decision, look at whether your other debts are enough to make it worthwhile to you.

This site has forms and instructions you can use to request the change.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/selfhelp/family/changing-alimony.html

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.