Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I adopted a dog in October of 2016. My separated husband…

Customer Question
I adopted a dog...

I adopted a dog in October of 2016. My separated husband liked the dog. In April of 2017, I took the dog to his home, and left him there and moved in June of 17. Now it is 2017 Saptember and he will not let me take my dog. My son and I adopted it without my husband. I nursed the puppy back to health when he got Parvo. Only a few days away from adoption. He physically will not let me touch the dog to put him in my car. I paid all vet bills for Parvo and first set of shots. He paid for 2 sets of shots and the dog's ne

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

We were separated at the time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son is autistic and is obsessing over everything due to not having his dog

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You said that you moved in with your separated husband in June of 2017. Are you still living with him?

My son is not and I am leaving too.

Thank you.

Since you're still living there, that gives you a couple of extra options. One is to simply wait until your husband is not home or is sleeping and take the dog. There's no law that says you'd have to leave the dog there. Or you could go to walk to dog and instead take him to a friend's (or even have a friend meet you with their car somewhere).

Another option is to call the police, tell them that you're moving out of the marital home and need to take the dog to your autistic son, and ask them to come over to keep the peace. There is a risk that they'll require you to get a court order to take the dog, though.

The third option is to file for divorce, and file a Motion for Determination of Separate Property, asking the judge to find that the dog is yours and that your husband is not allowed to keep it. Once you have a court order, whether you're living there are not, police will help you get the dog.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.