Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife wants all our assets and is threatened to contact a

lawyer. I could get messy...
My wife wants all our assets and is threatened to contact a lawyer. I could get messy what should I do to survive
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: WA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'll tell him I guess
9/18/2017
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me it may take a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Washington State is a Community Property State. This means that you each are entitleed to 50% of the assets acquired during the marriage. he would not get 100% of the assets. SHe would get 50%.

Depending on who earns more money and how long you have been married, one of you mat be eligible for temporary or permanent spousal support. There may also be a child support issue.

BUT the asset distribution is generally fairly easy - 50%/50%.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Also this article discusses these issues in greater detail:

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/divorce/marital-property-division/washington-divorce-dividing-pr

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Thanks. If she hires an attorney will tair me a new one. Or dose the protect me

If she hires an attorney they can only get what the law provides for.

You can protect yourself by hiring your own attorney. See:

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/divorce/washington

In the meantime you can move some of your money to an account with your name only and you can talk to the banks about freezing the accounts so they are not raided.

If you have direct deposit from your employment you may wish to open an account in your own name and have your checks deposited to that account.

Are you still there

yes.

Did you get my last response?:

I have submitted an OPTIONAL offer to you for a premium service phone call so that we can discuss your concerns more easily. It is purely optional and I do not want you to spend extra money if it is not necessary. We can continue to post at no additional charge.

Can I chat with later I'm going to research the link you sent and I'm sure to have more questions later. I really appreciate your help thanks

Yes. You can post any follow up questions here.

I will be offline soon, but I will respond to them tomorrow.

Gerald-Esquire
Ok that's great
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer