Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'd like to find out how the mediation process works for a…

Customer Question
Hello, I'd like to...

Hello, I'd like to find out how the mediation process works for a child who has been wrongfully retained by the father. This is an internaitonal issue but one country is not governed by hague

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

The child and father are in new york

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes, but it will cost 6-10 thousand dollars, which is not possible based on our $200 to 1US dollar exchange rate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to find someone who could offer mediation services but need to know the process, how to prepare and the cost

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Since settling a case during mediation is voluntary, even if it is ordered by the court, you are not likely to get anywhere with that process. The father knows that he has leverage here and if you believe your child has been kidnapped, it is best to report it to the authorities. Need more facts as to why the child is "wrongfully retained" to better assist you...

Ely, Counselor at Law