Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

The judge issued orders on August 11. We got them on Sept6.

Customer Question
For Law EducatorThe judge issued...
For Law EducatorThe judge issued orders on August 11. We got them on Sept6. She ordered that I have to provide a CMA and immediately list the property at that, because my ex's apprasail is 600,000.00 less than my asking price.
I obtained a CMA in April which priced the house at 1.25-1.35. I listed it at 1.38 and reduced it to 1.35. What can she legally do with this? My ex is going to argue the price is too high the realtor is selected bad properties and she didn't visit the house so she is wrong.I
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You and I have discussed this before and you feel you should not have to get a new appraisal, but since the judge evidently is believing your ex-husband, I am saying that the only recourse here left to fight what your ex is claiming is to now get a different real estate appraiser to come and give you a brand new appraisal on the property. Whether you like it or not, since the judge is leaning this way, you have to present the evidence to the court that your listing is right.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The judge did not order a new apprasail and fair market value is not appraised value .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The judge ordered a CMA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Specifically - is there anything inappropriate on that page?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This page

I understand but that, but she is opening the door for your ex to continue with his argument you have overpriced the house. So being prepared here you would have to have the brand new appraisal in your pocket. If you want to nail him here and you want to surprise him (you keep wanting to have something in your pocket to surprise him with) then have the brand new appraisal from a new licensed appraiser and when he raises his argument that your price is too high, you can pull out the new appraisal showing that he is wrong as rebuttal evidence, meaning you do not have to disclose it to him before court, and thus you will make him look like the idiot is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
An appraisal is NOT fair market value. A CMA is.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In other words a CMA is more than an appraisal Apprasail were designed to protect the banks interest and can be substantially lower than actual market value particularly in the car of a boutique or specialty property where the market is much smaller. And the decree gives me the right to select the fair market value.

I understand that, but again, you keep arguing with me and you keep ending up in battles with your ex over this. So I am not saying you need to release the certified appraisal, but you need to have it together with the CMA, because that would counter all of his arguments you anticipate him raising.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The CMA won't match the appraisal it will be less and that will open the door to further arguement.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The question is since I have provided a CMA that I got prior to the courts order - is there any way the judge can rule that I am not wanting to sell the house (the CMA approximates my listing price prior to this order.)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then the next question is if she can't find that I don't want to sell the house but still thinks the price is questionable what can she do that won't violate the decree?

Thank you for your reply.

I disagree, but a certified appraiser can do a comparison and can solidify your claims that you are selling for proper value.

You say the price is right, he says it is too high, the only way to settle it is the CMA AND AN APPRAISAL. It will not cause more arguments, it would prove that you are within market pricing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am missing you logic. An appraisal does not prove market pricing. It proves financable pricing. Why would I want to do that when it will be at a minimum 10% below market value?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus you didn't answer my question regarding the decree

Thank you for your reply.

I disagree with you and have disagreed with you on this from the start. First off, not many buyers will pay above appraised value for a property unless there is a bidding war. I do not see buyers lined up for fighting over your property. So you are looking at this the wrong way and I know you are doing so to try to get the maximum for your property, but legally the court is not going to agree with you in most cases. So if you get another CMA and I was opposing counsel and I want to fight you, I would start pulling out CMA from other agents and appraisals as well, to show that whoever you are using for your CMA is way too high, which is what your ex is likely to be preparing.

There is nothing wrong in your conclusions.

I just think your fixation on only a CMA without support from an appraisal, even though the appraisals are know to be a bit less, it still supports your argument your CMA is valid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The judge did not order him to get a CMA she ordered me to get one at his expense. I already had one and that is what I am turning in. Via the decree where does he have the right to challenge a professional opinion ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am given the right to determine the sale price?

I know that the judge did not order him to do one, but he is going to have to have some evidence and yes he has a right to challenge your CMA with his own.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How? He does not have any rights to price or market the property. There for his CMA is meaningless. What legal right does the judge have to interfere with the decree stipulation or rule that I don't want to sell if I provide a professional opinion?

Remember back awhile ago, where I said that while the decree gives you the authority, if he can prove you are intentionally setting the price to high to avoid selling and avoid having to buy him out, then the judge could modify that order. That is the right the judge has, the judge has a right to modify that decree if they find you are not abiding by it in good faith. So I am just telling you what you need to do to prove you are in good faith, because if I were representing your ex, that is how I would be attacking your good faith arguing that your CMA is not realistic and providing my own to prove it.