Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had a child thru a sperm bank and am married to a woman we…

Customer Question
I had a child...

I had a child thru a sperm bank and am married to a woman we are getting divorced does does my wife have a legal rights to our child , of the child has not been legally adopted by her ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you

Not if the other party here, the wife did not legally adopt the child.There is no legal relationship absent an adoption.You are the sole parent at this point if the sperm was donated.You would not have to deal with custody issues in a divorce.It will be much more simpler.

Under Colorado law the wife has nl legal claims if there was no adoption.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best in the divorce.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer