Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We don't have a will made out yet,but was wondering if in…

Customer Question
We don't have a...

We don't have a will made out yet,but was wondering if in Michigan,if husband dies first does the wife get the house and what ever else is ours?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

My husband has been married twice but ive been with him 12yrs,when we married in 2002 the house was already his but I made him put me on Deed,is that enough

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it ok to write what we both want down on paper and have lawyer notarize it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Your question: "is it ok to write what we both want down on paper and have lawyer notarize it"

Answer: No, unless it is a will that meets all the requirements of a will then the probate court will not consider it at all and will be absolutely inadmissible.

In order to answer your other question I need to know if you husband has children from your marriage or any other marriage.

I am about to go offline for the evening. I will be back online tomorrow so if you have any follow up questions please ask them in this thread and I will answer them as soon as I see them. If you haven't issued a Positive Rating yet I would encourage you to do so now. Issuing a Positive Rating will prevent the question from timing out and closing and will lock it open so it can be accessed and the Q and A can continue at any time from this evening or even a year or more from now.