Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a friend who has a restraining order against him from…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who has a restraining order against him from his ex-girlfriend. All the bills are in his name but its her account. He needs to tell her that he is not neglecting the bills are anything. Can a third party help by talking to the person put the restraining order on him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

He lives in Massachusetts. I'm trying to help him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He is trying but no one is answering him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am. I'm just trying to help him.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question depends in part on the nature of the restraining order. If it is a restraining order that prohibits him from being within a certain distance of her, but otherwise doesn’t say that he can’t speak with her, then he’ll be fine. However, if it is a protective order that prohibits him from dealing with her altogether, he would have to be extremely careful if he or anyone he knows speaks with her for any reasons. Generally, if a third party is communicating with her regarding bills and they keep the conversation to that and only to that, then it would be difficult for her to say that he’s violating the terms of the RO and a judge would probably not consider her life/health to be in danger with something like this. Thus, I would recommend to the person that he keep it clear that no other kind of communication need to occur except for the purposes of handling the bills.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer