Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have questions regarding my ex girlfriend. She is

Customer Question
I have questions regarding...

I have questions regarding my ex girlfriend. She is supposedly pregnant with our unborn child, and is planning on moving to Arizona in a couple months. What are my rights as a father?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I left a voicemail, waiting back for a phone call

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at this time

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I’m also an AZ native. I’m sorry to hear about this situation. Until paternity is established, your rights as a father are going to be limited. On the other hand, if you are 100% certain that the child is yours, then once the child is born, then you will have the same rights as any other natural parent. This means that you have the right to see the child when you want. The downside is that if she does not agree to a visitation schedule, then you’re going to have to submit a request for a modification of the parent child relationship in your local court. You will need to do this before the child is 6 months old because the residency of the child will be Arizona after 6 months. If you wait until after 6 months, you’ll have to file the case in Arizona. Regardless, the court may require you to take a DNA test to prove you’re the father, but if she agrees that you’re the father, then you will be able to set up a visitation schedule through the courts.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Thanks for your response, seems like this will get ugly. Pretty sad..

I can imagine!

Also, the pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer