Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

2nd Opinion I need advice on Polish Child Support advice, 2…

Customer Question
2nd Opinion I need...

2nd Opinion

I need advice on Polish Child Support advice

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

2 kids ages 27 & 25... I live in New York ( American citizen) and they live in Poland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to alawyer yet?

I have been paying child support for 22 years.. in new York state

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was informed by Ny State child support that I do not need to pay anymore since they are over the age... but recently I received a letter from ny state child support that I need to pay total of $32,000 for both kids ... It also mentioned that if I will not pay it, they will suspend my drivers license and arrest me ... I have never had any conflict with the law before and this is kinda scary since I cant afford to pay that amount, especially that the kids are age 25 & 27... what can I do about this situation?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If NY State will not accept your proof of payment for 22 years under the Polish order for support, then your only option is filing suit in the NY court and providing that proof to the court in NY that you have paid and no further support is due. The court has to issue an order here to waive what NY claims is due based on your payments for 22 years as you said you made. You have to prove the payments you made.