Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need advice on Polish Child Support advice, 2 kids ages 27…

Customer Question
I need advice on...

I need advice on Polish Child Support advice

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

2 kids ages 27 & 25... I live in New York ( American citizen) and they live in Poland

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have been paying child support for 22 years.. in new York state not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was informed by Ny State child support that I do not need to pay anymore since they are over the age... but recently I received a letter from ny state child support that I need to pay total of $32,000 for both kids ... It also mentioned that if I will not pay it, they will suspend my drivers license and arrest me ... I have never had any conflict with the law before and this is kinda scary since I cant afford to pay that amount, especially that the kids are age 25 & 27... what can I do about this situation?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the child support was also canceled in Poland April 2016
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

IF you have been paying for 22 years and paid in Poland and have the decision from the Polish courts that it was cancelled, then NYS is mistaken. Unfortunately, this is now going to have to get resolved by first contacting NYS Child Support and providing them copies of all of your records showing that you paid all support as ordered in Poland for 22 years. It sounds like the other parent is trying to collect double by filing in NY and collecting support from the Polish court order. So, if you prove all support as ordered was paid and NYS still does not erase the money they claim is due, you have to take the final step which is to file a petition for waiver of arrears based on accord and satisfaction and you will have to bring in proof of everything you paid under the Polish orders for 22 years to the court and the court will remove anything NYS says you owe.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.