Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What can i do about my 81 year mother, who lives in her own…

Customer Question
what can i do about...
what can i do about my 81 year mother, who lives in her own home and is a very very, bad hoarder? when i say bad i mean there is one chair for her to sit in ,and her boyfriend who lives with her, has a couch to sit on. its wall to wall stuff, you cant even go upstairs in the house, when you walk down the small hallway, to the kitchen you have to turn sideways. they cant eat at kitchen table, in the bed room u can lay on bed, and its packed with stuff. its a unhealthy sititution. if it would catch on fire it would not be good. i have tried to talk to her about letting us clean it up and get rid of stuff, but no.. she also will go dig thru the trash to see what, ive thrown away and will get stuff out of trash.. is there anything i can do
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Report this to APS.They may need to help them with cleaning or other day to day living tasks.This really is self neglect and the state may help with this.They have the resources to deal with it all.

Reports of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of an Adult or Child may be made to the Kansas Protection Report Center.

Please call and get them involved.They are pretty good about dealing with these kinds of issues and will deal with it for the protection of your mother and her companion.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight, sorry you are having to deal with this.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

• By phone: 1-***-***-****

yea i called adult protective services and they did come out, they never went inside the house

Call them again, I was wondering if you can call the health department that might be another resource.Could be fire hazards here.

All county health depts here about page 3

http://www.kdheks.gov/olrh/download/health_directory.pdf

ok thanks

Thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer