Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If i divorced my husband and we are joint on a property and…

Customer Question
If i divorced my husband...
If i divorced my husband and we are joint on a property and he stayed there for 15 years paid the house off in dc, do I have any rights to the house? He's still living
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Did the decree address the sale of house or who got it?

No
I just moved and then i filed the divorce myself
It's been 15 years or more

So here both of you have a half interest.Either you both agree to a sale or you would need to motion the court to order a sale.You have rights to do this as a co owner of the house.

I did a qui claim deed and was paid half of the value at the time. The city nevet recited the deed do i have to sign anothet one

Yes you would here if it wasn't filed. You need to do so to complete the divorce and get it out of your name.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.

We hav been divorced for20 years

I understand but if the quitclaim was not filed you are out of compliance of the decree.You could be held in contempt.You want to sign another one and file it in the county deed records since you were paid your share you need to do this.

Thank you

You are so welcome,thanks for rating 5 stars.