Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Oklahoma. We'd night DHs put a friend of mines newborn baby…

Customer Question
Oklahoma. We'd...

Oklahoma. We'd night DHs put a friend of mines newborn baby in my care. If she signs over custody to me, how hard is that and will that then close the DHS case because he will no longer be in her custody. Or can you even do that since they say he is in DHS custody? I am safe place in plan. I mean she isn't terminated so she should be allowed to say yes I want my child w this family

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I have spoken 2 three

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This makes number 4 for her. She has none of them and agrees it's his best interest for him to be somewhere. I pray she can do what she says but I don't see it happening. With custody I know he will be taken care of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

To do this right, you will need to apply with the family courts to become this child's guardian. Oklahoma law states that "when it appears necessary or convenient," a guardian may be appointed over a minor. A judge decides what is "necessary or convenient" in each individual situation, focusing on the overall well-being of the child. The most common example of "necessary and convenient" is a biological parent's inability to care for the child.

See this link to understand the process and view a copy of the petition that needs to be filed.

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.