Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is "tiebreaker status" in Oregon Family law?

Customer Question
What is "tiebreaker status" in...
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/16/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thsi is an issue that needs to be resolved in a custody agreement or mediation.The parties decide on a method to have a tie-breaker (some parents agree to use a third person to make the decision, such as the child's therapist or another adult with whom both parents respect......get this person's permission first).You need one there are several ways to go here but it needs to be in writing to deal with this issue while raising the kids and in the event of disagreement about what to do with an issue, like what school what doctor, etc.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

I appreciate

that gives one parent an advantage when there is 50/50 custody?
This is custody dipute

Yes it does unless you agree to some neutral tie breaker like mediation if there is a tie or a third party like therapist , etc.