Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a niece who is on ventilators she has a husband who…

Customer Question
I have a niece who...
I have a niece who is on ventilators she has a husband who is trying to take her off even though she is showing signs of life according to medical staff.to my knowledge she does not have a written POA. Does her husband automatically have rights to make that decision ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

As he is her spouse, he is legally "next of kin" and has the legal right to make this type of decision. If her immediate family objects to his decision, the only way they can stop him is filing suit in court to try to obtain conservatorship over her and prove that the husband is not fit to make the decision or the decision is not in her best interests. Absent a court order, he would have the right to make the decisions as next of kin I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.