Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Currently in divorce talks and want to do a no contest

Customer Question
Currently in divorce talks...

Currently in divorce talks and want to do a no contest divorce, neither party wants to draw this out, We have an adopted special needs son with downs who receives a monthly stipend from the state. We have agreed that neither should pay child support but have been told that is not possible. if this is true can we decide on amount to be paid?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She has

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The adoption was finalized last year, and /I have offered to give up rights

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately that is correct;

the state had adopted child support guidelines and the court will determine the amount of support based on such guidelines.

Since child support is a right afforded to the child, the parents are not in a position to waive their obligation. However, the court is allowed to "deviate" from the guidelines if circumstances warrant; as such, if the stipend is sufficient to meet the child's needs, the court may take that into consideration and award a nominal amount. They will not waive it because child support is modifiable and should circumstances change they need jurisdiction to modify support.

http://www.okdhs.org/services/ocss/Pages/computation.aspx

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: