Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My kids father won a million dollars on a ca lottery

Customer Question
ticket...what is the best way...
My kids father won a million dollars on a ca lottery ticket...what is the best way to get my kids some of that money? We are on welfare and being evicted
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 8 months ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Is there a child support order in place?

but its for 362 a month because of the welfare that just currently has stopped. They denied my request to modify it...i need to find proof of him winning besides that fact that he called and told them he did

Were you divorced from the father? Who did you ask to modify the support order?

Together 10 yrs but never married and asked child support to modify. My kids are 6, 5, and 3...he lives around the corner from us and hes emotionally hurting my kids i just really need some help to get out of the area. He doesnt visit at all but when they do see him they are sad and crying. Only talking to 5 min is causing damage. Idk what to do. I feel so hopeless

Please clarify who made the support order.

Is the father's name on the birth certificate?

Has a paternity case even been filed?

I filed child support the month before he won. He is on the birth certificates. No paternity case ever filed

Did you file for child support in Court?

You can file another motion to modify the support order based on the changed circumstances.

Do i file that with child support or the court house? Start over

If the Court made the existing order then you would file the motion to modify with the Court. If there is no Court order, you would file a paternity case with a request for child support.

"Depending on the situation, either parent might want to change the amount of child support that is paid. Changes in child support often make sense if either parent has had a significant change related to:

• His or her income,
  • The other parent's income, or
  • The amount of time that each parent spends with the child.

Once you ask the court to modify the amount of child support, the court will make its decision based on the current circumstances (mainly both parents' income and time-share with the child). This means that the child support amount could go either up or down. If you are not sure whether the change in circumstances will result in an increase or a decrease, you can ask the family law facilitator in your county to help calculate the estimates for you before you file papers to go to court. " from

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-support.htm​

If you tell me which County you are in, I will try to locate the local family law facilitator, who can assist you at no charge.

Im in fresno county...im so thankful to you. I truly feel like someone cared enough to give me a helping hand. Thank you so much. Now im crying because i feel positive.

I didn't meaqn to make you cry.

*****br />First Floor
Fresno, CA###-##-####br />
Information Lines ONLY
Telephone:
(###) ###-####br />Toll-free in Fresno County: 1-***-***-****

Hours
Monday-Tuesday, Thursday-Friday: 8 AM - 4 PM
Note: The Family Law Facilitator's and Self-Help office will be closed every Wednesday until further notice.

See

http://www.fresno.courts.ca.gov/family/facilitators_office.php

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney