Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What if your ex-husband does not allow me execute the right…

Customer Question
What if your ex-husband...

What if your ex-husband does not allow me execute the right to buy him out because he thinks he has a lot of equity.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, just a family judge friend who asked that I offer him a certain amount and he said no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Divorce was final 14 years ago and I've paid over 190,000.00 in those years and don't want to pay outrageous money on attorney fees at this point.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
9/15/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Are you still working on answer?

You could file your own motion to modify and have court set the price for his share.You don't have to agree the court will set this if you file such a motion.

I would try and draft your own motion to modify and ask for a hearing with the judge.He can set a fair price taking into consideration what you have paid in , etc.

This is the way to resolve this under Texas family law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is always much appreciated.Let me know if you have more.

I would also ask when you file if you can mediate the price,many courts in Texas allow for such informal mediation.

Law for reference

Sec. 9.006. ENFORCEMENT OF DIVISION OF PROPERTY. (a) Except as provided by this subchapter and by the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, the court may render further orders to enforce the division of property made or approved in the decree of divorce or annulment to assist in the implementation of or to clarify the prior order.

(b) The court may specify more precisely the manner of effecting the property division previously made or approved if the substantive division of property is not altered or changed.

(c) An order of enforcement does not alter or affect the finality of the decree of divorce or annulment being enforced.

What does that mean, mediate the price?

The price(amount he gets paid) for his share.As I understand it he wants more than you think his share is worth because you likely have been making payments for years and put this off.

Thank you, ***** ***** try to contact an attorney tomorrow. What would something like that cost me?
Still there?

It shouldn't be that expensive maybe $500-$1k or so.It is pretty simple.

Thanks again I appreciate the chance to help you .

Thanks for rating 5 stars it is sincerely appreciated.